Monday, April 13, 2015

Defined

Hi my name is ________.

I am a _____ major.

I enjoy ______, ____________, and _______.

I have been involved in _______, __________, and ____________ in the past.

My dad is a _______.

My mom is a ___________.

I am __ feet ___ inches tall.

I weigh _____ pounds.

I am from ______________ and have lived there for ___ years.

My personality can be defined as ________, ______, and _____________.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you get the picture.

Knowing someone seems to start with this type of information. The sad part comes when knowing just this information is enough for a person to stop pursuing knowledge of another's life.

Why are we so quick to judge? Sure, not every person you meet will become your best friend, but when did we forget that every person is made in the image of God?

How about instead of defining someone by their past mistakes or things about them that irk us, let's accept every person for the beautiful creation God made them to be. Stop defining people by their appearances or downfalls. Our culture has us so caught up in these things that we forget who put us here and gave us our unique qualities.

Talk to her about her love of art. Talk to him about his interest in airplanes. Talk to that one friend about his thoughts on his future. Ask her how her family is doing. Ask about likes and dislikes and stories and habits, but don't forget to actually care about the person. Don't forget that they have a soul and a Creator who wants to see that soul in a new body in heaven someday.

Pray for that person. Pray for the friends, the third cousins, the enemies you may have.

Search for a way to better see people. Don't stop at the surface stuff. Humans are complex. Humans are deep. They have meaning. They have significance. Don't ever forget that.

We like to put people in little boxes and say "this is who you are to me," but what we far too often forget is what they are to God. Sometimes we even forget what we are to God!

Why do we do this?

Why do we let ourselves box people up? Why do we box God's creation?

Why do we box God?

Lately I've found myself defining people when really the only one who truly knows them is their Creator.

I've even attempted to define myself. But that's impossible. I don't know what changes are coming. I don't understand the most inner-workings of my brain. I don't know what I dream at night. I don't know where I'll end up. I don't know how to define myself, which, in turn, means I cannot successfully define other people.

The only thing I can do is look at a person and say "God, thank you for that life, that soul, that being that you made. You are awesome. You are wonderful and to be praised."

I can only look at myself and praise God for his love and protection. I can only look at myself and thank Him for saving me and making me His child.

Stop defining people. Stop shutting them out. Stop defining yourself. Stop defining God.

Thank Him for people. Thank Him for giving you life. Thank Him for being Himself and allowing us to get a glimpse of His love and power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, I have no idea if any of that made any coherent sense, it is just my thoughts typed in a box on the internet.

Thanks for reading. And happy spring, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment