Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thanks, Dad

People's reactions to my job often include a comment about all the death I see. Working in a nursing home, death does occur, but that doesn't mean it's a negative job. Actually, I love it!

One of the worst parts of my job is not death, it's the fact that people suffer and would prefer death over life. But what I am impressed with about suffering is seeing the strength that families of some of my residents exhibit when their strength is in the Lord.

These thoughts about death and faith were resurfaced as my dad was preaching this past Sunday. Almost every Christian has probably memorized Psalm 23 at some point in their life. But isn't it amazing when you read a familiar passage and something new jumps out at you?


The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
    he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
    for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk
    through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
    for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.
Surely your goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.
 
This passage is truly incredible! But here's what my dad showed the congregation on Sunday. At first, David is talking about God in the third person, which is how you speak when that person isn't around.
 
But notice what happens in verse four: "I will fear no evil, for you are will me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me." Another translation says: "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil". In verse four, David is now talking as if he is in the presence of God. It's as if, as David is passing through death, he now comes into the presence of God.
 
Looking at this passage in this new light makes me feel less sad about the death I see in my job. I can now imagine a passing resident, instead of being swallowed by death, simply lifted by God, right into His arms. Death is a scary place, but for Christians it also means that God is nearest to you than ever before.
 
I never really though of Psalm 23 as a psalm about death, but now that I understand, I see the beauty of it.
 
So thanks, Dad, for showing me a way to connect this passage to my life and even my work!
 
I guess parents really can be helpful sometimes;)
 
 
 
Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment