Sunday, September 21, 2014

Needing some new air

Sometimes it's the simple things. A beautiful pink sunset, airplanes taking flight, homemade Indian food, making a friend's dad laugh, sitting on comfortable chairs in Best Buy, watching airplanes soar right above us on the highway, being exposed to Chinese flute music, and singing worship songs on the way home. This is what I call a retreat. Often it's not the planned retreats that give us the most benefit. Spontaneity is often what brings us back to where we need to be. Not necessarily in the present, but back to where we need to be. In appreciation of where God has placed us. Sometimes we need some new air.

This week has been a stressful one, and, upon examining my rather colorful schedule, it's only going to get more insane. It's moments like these, when I seem to be sinking into the quicksand of day-to-day life, that I unknowingly need to get away.

The most current installment of "I'm drowning, get me out of here" was solved by my beautiful roommate Alice. It took some convincing, but soon Alice, Anneliese, and I were on our way to Alice's house for some divine homemade Indian food and good old roommate conversation. It was nothing grand, yet it was the highlight of my week. Why? I think the answer is simply that we needed a break, and God provided a simple opportunity for us to get away and enjoy each other's company.

The best of times are always spent with the best of friends. I don't know what you think, but I feel that that's a quote floating around the internet said by some semi-famous person. No matter where it came from, I believe that it's true. An hour drive to and from a destination may at first seem annoying, especially since it wasn't a trip I needed to take. However, just because I was with friends I love, the drive was a blast, and I was actually sad when it ended.

It's amazing how the simplest, most spontaneous excursions are the most refreshing. It's like getting fresh air after being stuck inside all day.

But this trip was better than that.

It was better than fresh air.

It was like completely new air.

Which is I think what God wanted me to find.

New perspective.

New thoughts.

Completely new air.



No comments:

Post a Comment