Monday, October 7, 2013

Lovely, lovely peace

At home, if I ever needed a quiet place to relax, read, or gather my thoughts, I would sit on my front porch. Once I was comfortably nestled into the wooden rocking chair on the right, I would rest my legs on the railing and prepare to be restored by the peace that I felt. I could read. I could think. I could close my eyes and breathe in the beautiful scent of God's earth. I could shake off the day and restore myself.

This was my quiet spot, even though I could have easily been distracted by cars zooming by my house, kids racing each other on their bikes, or the voices of my family through the kitchen window behind me. The sound of the birds fighting on our lawn below, squirrels clamoring in the branches above. I could easily get distracted and lose my focus, but I didn't. I don't.

Sitting in the lounge of Starkenburg floor on this beautiful fall day, I hear doors slamming, friends chatting, music blaring, and skateboards cruising down the sidewalk. But I don't care. All I have right at this very moment is peace. I feel completely at peace. I have soft piano playing on my laptop. I'm surrounded by books, papers, assignments, and writing utensils. I have so much I need to conquer. So many mountains to climb, hills to clamber over. But I don't care. I'm comfortable. I'm rested. I'm relaxed.

That doesn't mean I won't get anything done, though. I am simply enjoying this time of peace and quiet. The distractions are there, but I don't notice them. Today was a beautiful day. The leaves are changing, the air is turning crisp. And on top of it all, I know that even though I am alone right now, I am definitely not lonely. I have a family that misses me (at least they say they do!) and friends that enjoy my company. And knowing that, I can rest. I can slow down. I can think, I can dream, I can write. I am floating in peace. Lovely, lovely peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment