Monday, October 21, 2013

Foundation

One of the most difficult times in our lives is when we see loved ones struggling through pain.

A friend of mine told me that she was falling away from her faith. She couldn't say why, just that she felt empty. She said she didn't know how to "get right" with God again.

Another friend is going through an extremely tough time with her parents. Both sides have valid arguments, but it seems like the parents have the upper hand.

Sometimes it's hard to be expected to respond to these troubles. Sure, they don't affect me directly, but I still want to encourage and bring my friends some sort of spark of happiness. Whether through a hug, an "I'll pray for you", or even just by lending a listening ear.

Why is it that when others cry, we want to cry too?

Or how is joy and laughter so contagious?

Human beings are social. And when one being feels one emotion, I guess something in our genes makes us share in that emotion, whether we want to or not.

The most important thing to remember is that Christ wants to share with us too, in good times and bad. He is our shoulder to cry on and our friend to laugh with. I forget sometimes, but now that I'm sharing in other people's hurts, it's the promise I want them to remember most. He is our friend, our rock, and our strongest foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment