Sunday, October 13, 2013

The wonders of science

Medical science continues to amaze me.

I was at work on Friday when I saw a Fox News article at the nurse's station. Being the curious person that I am, I picked it up and read the title: "Pills made from poop could cure serious gut infections."

You can imagine my reaction! Poop curing infections? What???

I read on.

Turns out Canadian researchers found that putting the bacteria from healthy stool in gel pills, and giving them to patients with gut infections, such as C-diff, cured them. It's much easier than fecal implants, and costs far less.

It's incredible what simple ideas like "Hey, let's make poop pills instead of having to put the poop in their intestines!" can make such a huge difference.

Sure, it sounds gross but hey, it's less expensive than an implant!

Just a interesting little tidbit. Sometimes these experiments and new technologies deserve to be discussed.

Here's the link if you want to check out the article:
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/03/pills-made-from-poop-could-cure-serious-gut-infections/

No comments:

Post a Comment