Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Childhood Frustration

NOTE: this is another post that was written a few months ago. it was difficult to share it with the people in my composition class, so as you can guess it's difficult to share it now

I'm going to warn you right now that this ning is on a topic that is emotionally frustrating for me. It's about grandparents and just how frustrating it is to not have them.

Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, and I hate when I hear stories about them. Not because I don't care, I do care! I get so angry when Mom says, "Grandpa Bergsma would have loved your sense of humor," or when Dad says, "It's too bad you kids didn't know your Grandpa and Grandma Zuidema better." Truth is, though, I did know my Grandma Zuidema, but only until the end of fourth grade. She had a stroke when I was really little, so my dad would have to tell us what she was saying because the rest of us didn't know. I never actually knew her because we only saw her once or twice a year, and she was always in a fancy, cold, super-clean nursing home. She was a relative, but I never had a relationship with her.

Now this is the part of my ning post that might piss me off a little. I do have one grandma that is still alive, my Grandma Bergsma. She is about 80 years old, and we only see her once or twice a year. No one in my family likes her and has a relationship with her except my mom. Ever since Grandpa Burgsma died, Grandma has hated men. And this may seem like an exaggeration, but it truly isn't! This Grandma does not try to get to know us kids at all, and in return, we don't try to know her either. It simply consists of giving a Merry Christmas hug and calling to thank her for birthday money. That's it.

Want to know the most torture-filled day at DMC? You've probably guessed it: Grandparents Day. I hated it. It seemed like every other kid had grandparents there. And not grandparents that didn't care about them. These were grandparents that loved their grandchildren and knew more than just their name and age. I was always jealous of these kids. Of course, I could borrow people to act as my grandparents, but that just wasn't the same. No offense to Mrs. Funderburg, Mrs. Huisman, or April's grandparents, you are all awesome people, but you aren't my grandparents.

As this ning is growing incredibly lengthy, I shall conclude. I have no grandparents. Sure, one of them is still alive, but I have no relationship with her. It really irks me when Mom says "Grandpa Bergsma would really enjoy watching the Three Stooges with you kids! He'd get such a kick out of it." Grandparents Day is the worst day in the world, and those of you with loving, caring grandparents are truly lucky. Hold close to those relationships because to miss out on that opportunity can literally bring you to tears, and I know from experience. Trust me when I say that you are truly lucky. Don't let that go to waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment