Thursday, June 20, 2013

Sharing in Success

I love seeing people succeed. Especially when I was one of the people that helped them.

Just this morning two of my friends from nurse's aid class took their test to officially become a CNA (Certified Nurse's Assistant). One was extremely nervous. The other? Confident. Almost cocky.

But both of them sought advice and answers from me because I took the test last month. I hoped and even prayed that my answers helped calm them down and bring them another step toward feeling prepared. After many texts and a few calls, today arrived. And with it, success for both of my friends. I literally jumped for joy after recieving each of the two texts that both exhibited the simple message: I passed.

At first, I didn't know why I was so excited for them. But then I realized it was because I was part of their journey to this day. I was their classmate, companion, and eventually, advisor(in terms of test prep). I think that's why I felt so proud of them. It's like we were all in a race. I finished first (which, in a real race, would never happen! but stick with me), and then I ran back to encourage them and even run with them for a bit. Now just look at this image in terms of a class, and you totally understand what I'm saying.

We've all experienced this in a variety of areas.

A dad cheering at his son's baseball game because he's been training him and playing catch in the yard for over twelve years.

A choir teacher clapping at a student's recital because she trained this student and taught her everything she knows.

I could go on, but you see my point. It sounds cliche, but it really does feel great to help someone succeed.

I love when my brother Caleb asks me for advice. I remember car rides to school (during his freshmen year of high school, by the way) and all the questions he would throw at me. And listening to him reminded me of how I was at that stage. I was full of questions too! And I realized that I was thankful for the people that answered my questions, which encouraged me to answer his.

When your loved ones succeed, it's a personal success as well because we get so proud of the ones we care for. I hope I get to help even more people in the future:)

No comments:

Post a Comment