Friday, May 10, 2013

Guatemala Adventure: Part 1&1/2

2-25-13, Friday

Who knew shopping, walking, and chilling in Antigua would wear us out almost as much as a work day! We woke up at five and left at exactly six. A lot of us were pretty rushed and I forgot my shoes! We have this "no shoes" rule in our room to keep it clean, and before we left I was walking in flip-flops and socks. Well, silly me, walked on the bus rockin the whole sandle/sock style. What a tourist I am.

Anywho, food in Antigua requires more than the 20-25 quetzales most of us had saved. But shopping in the market is so much fun! Spanish wasn't much of a problem with the vendors, but sometimes bartering proved to be quite difficult. There was this one crabby lady that had the coolest earrings in her shop that no one else had and I wanted them so bad! Yeah, I had to give in. But it's so cool thinking about the prices in American dollars. Stuff here can be really inexpensive!

It's amazing to be exposed to this culture. At Casa Bernabe, we are super excluded, it's kind of all you see. But antigua was really cool. Stone streets, bright buildings, hand-made crafts to admire. It's just so different, I love it!

It was interesting to get a tour of a cathedral because we had extra time. Sure, he spoke english, but his accent was so thick that we only got 30% of the information. Kinda strage, but it was a really cool cathedral ruin sight thingy. Til we went in the pitch black basement with holes and puddles. Yeah, shouldn't have forgotten my shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment